Monday 30 May 2011

yum yum yum! {Pea & Ham Soup}

I’m not a huge soup fan. I think it’s the texture and the sameness of every mouthful – but I seem to always get half way through a bowl and then my stomach turns and I can’t handle the thought of another mouthful.

I do have a few exceptions though… number one being soup of the pea & ham variety – and most especially when my Oma cooks it.

Unfortunately I don’t have her recipe (yet) but I did try my hand at pea and ham soup tonight. And I’m pleased to say, it turned out to be most delicious (though not quite so delicious as Oma’s of course).

IMGP9601

It was super easy – I did it in my slow cooker but I’m sure it would be just as good in a saucepan on the stove. This is what I did:

  1. Rinse a packet of dried split peas.
  2. Chop up 2 carrots, 2-3 sticks of celery + 2 mediumish onions.
  3. Put the vegies in the slow cooker, and sit a smoked ham hock on top.
  4. Pour in 2 litres of liquid. I used 1 litre of salt-reduced vegetable stock and 1 litre of water.
  5. Put on the lid and cook all day.
  6. About a 30 minutes to an hour before you eat, remove the ham hock and cut the meat into smallish chunks.
  7. Use a stick blender to puree the soup, then put the pieces of ham back into the soup.
  8. Cook a little longer with the lid off to help it thicken a little.
  9. Serve with garlic bread!

IMGP9600

If you have trouble eating it with a spoon, a straw is always a good option!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com