Monday 4 May 2009

“Our Noosa Getaway”, or, “A Weekend of Madness and Mayhem”

This weekend is my Dad’s birthday. His birthday always falls on, or around the Qld Labour Day weekend. When we were little, he used to call it his birthday long-weekend, and I told my friends that the long weekend was FOR my Dad’s birthday. Hmmm…

I now know the truth – yes it was just one more moment of disillusionment to add to the crumbling trust I once had in my father … along with the time he had my sister and I convinced that our trip to the Noosa airport was going to culminate in us all flying to the moon.. but I digress.

The point is, we always take advantage of the long weekend to celebrate Papa’s birthday. This weekend, Pete and I took an EXTRA long weekend. We headed to Noosa on Thursday afternoon, and won’t be back home until this Wednesday! Gotta love the uni life, right!?

On Friday, we had a day at home, while most of the family was at school/work. I managed to get some uni work done, and Mayana had her first successful independent play session – she has finally discovered a toy that keeps her occupied for more than 1 minute!

May09 00092We had afternoon tea with Aunty Joce (man she puts on a good spread!) and then Mama and Papa took Pete, Mayana and I out for dinner to the RSL while the others were at youth. Mayana was a very good girl, went to sleep with Opa (he seems to have that affect on her), and then slept the entire time we ate.. woke up just before we left and went straight back to sleep after a quick feed when we got home! Oh she’s a good bubby!

May09 00096

My Mama and I

May09 00099

A traditional Buma pose. This means Pete is truly really officially a certified (certifiable!????), bona fide member of the Buma family!

After a veeeeeery long drive, our favourite Donovans arrived at their Noosa holiday accommodation late Friday night. They had left the Brisbane area at around 6pm, and didn’t arrive in Noosa until close to 11pm!!! They came over the next morning, and we had a very yummy pancake breakfast. After that, we hit Noosa Civic, where we caught up with Mayana’s other grandies. We somehow managed to hang around there for a really long time, but didn’t actually seem to look in any shops… Papa and Bethanie made two incredible curries for dinner.. Chicken Massaman and Beef Green, mmmmmmmm, was SO good. We spent the remainder of the evening talking and laughing, doing what Bumas and Donovans do best: have fun!!

On Sunday, we had church. My dad lead worship (it was awesome by the way), and I got to play keys and sing! It was so much fun, I miss doing it so much and it has really made me feel that I need to get my butt into gear and see about getting on the music team at our Toowoomba church!

After church, we broke up into groups. Some people went jet-skiing on the Noosa River, some went to see the Wolverine movie, but Pete, Mayana and I were in the group that went to Kenilworth for ice-cream at the cheese factory, and then up to Montville for some boutique shopping. We were with my parents, Aunty Janeen, Alexie & Bethanie (my sisters) and Lockey (sis’s boyfriend). Personally, I think it was the best group and the best outing, lol.

May09 00005

I had a Rolo flavoured ice-cream and it was soooo good. Mayana was eyeing everyone’s off, and we told her that next year we will come back for Opa’s birthday and she can have her very own ice-cream! (oh, by the way, check out my new bling on my ice-cream hand. It’s SOOO cool. I got it with some of my birthday money.. it’s a gorgeous fuscia pink stone, with three cubic zircons down each side… I’ll have to post a proper pic later)

May09 00011

It is possible that the silliness began on this leg of the trip, because looking at this photo later on in the evening was the beginning of a couple of VERY silly hours, which you shall soon see evidence of.

May09 00014

Peter, me, Mama, Bethanie, Alexie, Mayana, Papa, Lockey, Aunty Janeen.

I think Montville would have to be one of my favourite places to visit when we’re on the coast. It’s so pretty, and I love looking at all the different shops even if we don’t buy anything.

We came home to a yummy-smelling house, because I had put dinner in the slow-cooker before we went out. After dinner, we may have done something slightly naughty involving mass amounts of sparklers, matches, cardboard tubes and duct tape. It’s possible that (very) tall bursts of sparkling light, roaring fire-ish noises, and many girly screams (mostly from the boys) were heard from the Buma back-yard, but there is no evidence that any such activity actually happened (it has all been disposed of rather thoroughly). lol.

So while we were watching the now non-existent footage of said possible event, we came across the photo that I showed earlier, which resulted in much hilarity. The suggestion was put forward that we should each take turns having our photos taken in such a pose, and then the camera should be plugged into the TV so it could be viewed on a large scale, purely for entertainment purposes! So that’s exactly what we did.

The idea is, you loosen your lips, and blow through them, the way that a horse would. Someone takes a photo of you mid-blow, and it results in the most awesome, if slightly unattractive, pictures you will ever have of yourself. We would probably have spent a good 1.5 hours doing this. This is just the kind of thing our two families get up to when we’re together, and should in no way put you off getting to know any of us. When you meet us individually, or in small groups, we are actually quite normal. So please don’t judge us by these photos. (and if you had ever heard my Aunty Janeen laugh, you would do anything you could possibly happen to be able to hear it again too!!!) We took a lot of these photos, but these are the best of the best…

sized4blog

from top left: Mama, Adam, his girlfriend Jess, Jordan, Rhaman, Alexie, Peter, Tjalara’s boyfriend Kevin, Tjalara, Me, Aunty Janeen, Papa. We’re an attractive bunch, no?

Once we had all calmed down, had a few puffs of the ventolin, and massaged the stitches out of our tummies, we had a play with the Wii for a while, and then one-by-one decided to hit the hay.

Today was Papa’s birthday. The Donovans came over for one last meal (a delicious feast of cheeses, crackers, dips, chips, olives, gherkins and other such scrumptious foods) before heading home.

May09 00123 May09 00127

Later in the day, Papa, Mama, Peter, Mayana and myself attempted a walk along the Noosa River, but it started to rain, so we stopped at the Noosa Villa for lunch instead.

And that has been our weekend!! It’s been awesome, a big few days and I’m seriously impressed with how well Mayana coped with it all.

Tomorrow I get my birthday present from my family… a trip to my favourite hairdresser for a cut, colour and eyebrow wax (apparently they’re going to fix my spastic eyebrow). I have big plans for a major change, but you’re gonna have to wait and be surprised!!!!

Tomorrow night, Peter is taking me out on a romantic date.. I have no idea what’s happening and I like it that way.

Hope your weekend was as awesome as mine!!

Zoey x

PS.. if you want a serious laugh, you have to check out this awesome song my brother wrote. He’s SO funny and clever.

Trust me, you REALLY want to click here and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com