Sunday 10 February 2008

Week 6

It has been a weird week. I have been frustrated by people taking life too seriously. Some people I know thrive on drama... almost as if they are not happy unless they are stressed- as oxymoron-ish as that sounds. You know the type: woe-is-me, life-is-so-hard, everything/one-is-against-me. They are the type of people who Abraham Lincoln probably spoke of when he said:
"When you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will".
Arggh! Wake up and smell the roses buddy, life is good! Real good. My Great-Granny Alice's favourite hymn was "Count Your Blessings"(Johnson Oatsman) which is based on Ephesians 1:3.. you know the one:

Verse 1
When upon life's billows You are tempest tossed, When you are discouraged Thinking all is lost, Count your many blessings Name them one by one, And it will surprise you What the Lord hath done.
Chorus:
Count your blessings Name them one by one. Count your blessings See what God hath done. Count your blessings Name them one by one. Count your many blessings See what God hath done.
Verse 2
Are you ever burdened With a load of care, Does the cross seem heavy You are called to bear. Count your many blessings Every doubt will fly, And you will be singing As the days go by.
Verse 3
When you look at others With their lands and gold, Think that Christ has promised You His wealth untold. Count your many blessings Money cannot buy, Your reward in heaven Nor your home on high.
Verse 4
So amid the conflict Whether great or small, Do not be discouraged God is over all. Count your many blessings Angels will attend, Help and comfort give you To your journey's end.

You'd be surprised how much good it does to think about the good things in a situation. Things are almost always brighter than they seem. At the very least, you are always better off than someone else in this world. I think Pollyanna really had the right idea!
I guess the fact that I let these particular people get me down is going against my little philosophy here, but it is just so draining to live with.

For the most part, I am a take-life-as-it-gets-thrown-at-me type of girl. Not always, but mostly. If it happens it happens, and if it doesn't, in hindsight I most often see a reason (even if I don't always like to admit it). This week (today actually) I had a moment where I wanted to wallow and sook and stress, but I know that it will change nothing so is completely pointless. Something I wanted very, very much did not happen, and it hurt(s) but I know that one day, on the right day, it will happen. And the joy will I feel on that day will make up for all the hurts of today. Pollyanna would be proud. And so would my Great-Granny Alice.



Ps.. I came accross this great website while I was trying to find the lyrics of "Count Your Blessings". Very very interesting.. so I thought I might share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com